Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Joy comes from an awesome God

Good morning. This is a devotional for single adults from Parenting Solo, but the message also applies to single adults without children who may one day marry a single parent and be a step-parent. Feel Free to forward it to a friend.

Scripture: Psalm 47:1 (NIV) Clap your hands, all you nations;
shout to God with cries of joy.

There is a difference between joy and happiness. Happiness tends to be affected by your surroundings. When life is plentiful, it is easy to be happy. Joy, however, seems to be oblivious to surroundings, at least at its core. Joy can be found amid great trials and tribulations. Joy can be found when you least expect it.

Even though I have been unemployed for a month today, I find intermittent times of joy in my life. Each time it happens, I realize it is because of God’s presence in my life, eternally, and at that very moment. I may clap my hands to the beat of a praise song in church on a Sunday morning, or raise them in exultation. I send up a quick prayer, thanking God for that feeling. I have to say, though, that it has been awhile since I truly shouted out to God in utter joy. Perhaps a whisper now and then. I wonder if that is the same thing.

I have found joy in looking at God’s beautiful design, such as the time a few weeks ago when I was hiking with my wife near Squaw Peak at Lake Tahoe. I smiled a broad smile when I was hired to write a simple story that paid very little; God sustained me for another day. I wake up happy that I slept soundly the night before, knowing I had not slept well the previous six months. I cried Sunday morning in church when I heard God’s voice giving me direction. I was gleeful in getting a 90 on my first test in an online class I am taking. I beamed watching my step-son play a song on the guitar that he had picked up only a year ago. I breathed a sigh of relief when my son told me he was hit by a car on campus and no bones were broken, though he was badly bruised. He is still alive.

Where are you finding joy these days? Can you find joy in the little things in life? Because if you can’t, when the big things in life come along, you won’t appreciate them. I have had to learn how to appreciate life, because I spent so much time wanting more and not enjoying the moment enough. The next line in this Psalm says it all: “How awesome is the Lord Most High.” Look around you today and find joy in the little things that God has given you. Then give thanks to the awesome God who provided your moment for you.

How does this apply to my life?

Today’s prayer: Lord, help me to be thankful for the little things. Help me to find joy in everything you give me. You are an awesome God! Amen

Doug Mead
Parenting Solo

Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Vol. 4, No. 69

This week’s reading plan can be found at http:/www.oneyearbibleonline.com/july.asp?version=51

No comments: