Friday, July 17, 2009

Finding refuge when we are weary

Good morning. Today's scripture is: Psalm 61:1-4 (NIV) Hear my cry, O God;
listen to my prayer.

From the ends of the earth I call to you,
I call as my heart grows faint;
lead me to the rock that is higher than I.

For you have been my refuge,
a strong tower against the foe.

I long to dwell in your tent forever
and take refuge in the shelter of your wings.

Maybe you can relate to David in this Psalm. You’re in a rough place, and you don’t know where to turn. No matter what you do, bad stuff happens. At times, you may feel as if you’re cursed. “Lord, am I ever going to get out of this place?” “Lord, am I ever going to get a job?” “Lord, am I ever going to lose this feeling of loneliness?” “Am I going to come up with this month’s mortgage payment when I’m already behind two months?” “I feel so worthless.” “I feel so helpless.”

David felt all those emotions, and more. The Psalms are filled with David’s prayers, crying out to God when he just can’t take it any more. David was tired of running. He hated the constant hiding out from his enemies. He was hungry. He was sleep-deprived. He was dirty. He was away from his family. The roof over his head often was the stars above him. His enemies were chasing him. Everywhere David looked was bad news. Is this ever going to end?

Yet, David never stopped crying out to God. He trusted his relationship with the Lord. He knew he could rely on God – even in the worst of circumstances. Let’s face it; few of us faced the kind of turmoil that David was up against. We whine and complain just the same. David’s heart is growing faint. He’s on the run, and everywhere he ends up, he stops and prays. He counts on God being bigger than his problems. He counts on God being his refuge. He knows his strength comes from God, and he wants that place of safety for the rest of his life. He knows he can kneel down, take a break for a minute and be under God’s protection.

We need that same feeling. No matter what comes at us, we have to be faithful and trust God. Maybe you’ve never been totally committed to God in such a way, and you’re scared of the outcome. That’s right where God wants you. You have nowhere else to turn but him. Give God a shot; it’s better than the alternative. Doing it all on our own strength just makes us weary. God’s strength never runs out. He’s always got a little more for us. We just have to take that first step and trust.

How does this apply to my life?

Today’s prayer: Lord, help me to trust you in the darkness. You are the light in everything I do. Shine a light where I need to go. Amen

How can I pray for you today? Just e-mail me and let me know. I want you to know that God cares about you and wants to hear from you.

Read my other blog at: http://jobseekerchronicles.com


No comments: