Monday, January 11, 2010

Here we go again

Today’s scripture comes from Proverbs 1:1-3: (New Living Translation): These are the proverbs of Solomon, David’s son, king of Israel.


Their purpose is to teach people wisdom and discipline,
to help them understand the insights of the wise.


Their purpose is to teach people to live disciplined and successful lives,
to help them do what is right, just, and fair.


As I have shared before, I have basically had writer’s block for the past three months. My notes say it started around Oct. 13. I sort of skipped over 35 chapters in the Psalms and suddenly ended it with a year-end devotional from the last chapter. I wish I could say that life is settling down for me, but for an unemployed guy, I’m extremely busy. I don’t know what I will do when I am employed again full-time.


By my notes, I see that 2010 is Volume 5 for these daily devotionals meant for single adults. That means I have been doing this for four years. By my calculations, I have written over 750 devotionals. My original intention was to write for single parents, because I was one for 13 years. Then I done got hitched, and I became a part of a blended family. I expanded the devotionals to included all single adults and blended families. The rules for living in the kingdom are mostly the same, whether you are a single adult or are married.


In the past few days, my desire to write these devotionals has increased again. A medication I take seems to be in balance – finally – and I again am rising before 6 to be with God every day. What will I write about? A couple of days ago, a book in our book case caught my eye: The One-Year Bible, my inspiration for the devotionals in 2006. Then I studied the Gospels more in depth, and last year I studied the Psalms. The purpose of my writing is best exemplified by Solomon’s desire to share his vast wisdom with others in Proverbs.


So it is with my writing in these devotionals. But the wisdom I try to share comes from God’s Word, his story of his creation of heaven and earth, the fall of man, and his plan for redemption – sending his son Jesus Christ to live among us and to die as a sacrifice for the sins of all mankind. My wisdom and your wisdom come from the same source: by seeking God’s will through prayer and study of scriptures. As I read The One Year Bible each day, I ask God to reveal to me the message He wants you to have. First, and foremost, He wants you to know he loves you and wants to be a part of your life – every day. He wants to hang out with you, be with you as you walk through life (good and bad), listen to your problems, and tell you how to solve them – if you will sit silently long enough to listen to his advice.


As my partner in this endeavor, I ask that you pray that God gives me the wisdom to write fresh messages every day. I will try to write 2-3 times a week, but I make no promises. I write as God leads me. May God bless you as you read along.


How does this apply to my life?


Today’s prayer: Lord, thank you for my gift of writing. I pray that I write solely you’re your glory, and that those who read it see you more clearly. Amen

No comments: