Monday, August 03, 2009

Fulfilling my vow

Good morning. Today’s scripture comes from Psalm 76:11 (NIV):


Make vows to the Lord your God and fulfill them.


For the past two months I have been praying for a job. In the interim, I’ve been freelance writing a little, but not enough to pay the bills. Specifically, I have been praying for a 20-30-hour-a-week client as an anchor, one that pays well and allows me to do the ministry that I desire. Frankly, I don’t want a 40-hour-a-week job that pays well if it means not having the time or the energy to minister to the homeless and jobless.


Last week, I believe my prayers were answered. I worked nine straight days as a contract copywriter, working for a nearby marketing company. It was a trial-run for my client and for me. Although I had never done this kind of work, the skills I had as a journalist are invaluable to me in this line of work. Friday was pay day, and we have a mutual agreement to continue. Because it’s contract work, I don’t know how many hours it will be every week, but that first nine days was busy much of the time. That’s where faith comes in: Lord, provide for my needs.


I did my halleluiahs on Friday, and over the weekend, I realized I had to fulfill my vow in my prayer time. God answered my prayer beyond my expectations, and now I must figure out what it is God is calling me to do in ministry. I have lots of options, and it will take more prayers to determine the direction God wants me to go. My job prayer was answered, but not my ministry prayer. I have been praying about praying for the unemployed. I have been praying about volunteering in a homeless shelter kitchen one day a week. I have been praying about jumping back in and ministering to the single men I used to minister to, many of whom have followed my path to marriage. Plus, my step-son may be going to public school in a few weeks, and maybe God has a plan for me to minister to high school kids in a different way than teaching provided.


I don’t know which direction to go, but God does, so I must seek him out. I’m back in the waiting game. One prayer down, one to go. Maybe I need more patience. Maybe I just need time to focus on my new work opportunity. I have an obligation to my new boss, to give him my best effort every day during my working hours. Most importantly, I made a vow to God, and I must fulfill it. I told God that if he provided me the right job that affords me time to volunteer in the community that I would do it. Maybe it will be another two months of prayer before I know the answer. I know God will answer this prayer, too.


How does this apply to my life?


Today’s prayer: Lord, thank you for answering my prayer for work. Now, I ask for wisdom in deciding how to use my volunteer time with my church and the community. Amen

No comments: