Thursday, June 18, 2009

Are we patient or impatient?

Good morning. This is a devotional for single adults from Parenting Solo, but the message also applies to single adults without children who may one day marry a single parent and be a step-parent. Feel Free to forward it to a friend.

Scripture: Psalm 40:1-2 (NIV) I waited patiently for the Lord;
he turned to me and heard my cry.
He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
out of the mud and mire;
and set my feet on a rock
and gave me a firm place to stand.

Waiting patiently for the Lord is not something I’ve been good at. Frankly, I’m better at praying, hearing what I believe God tells me and acting on my beliefs. My prayer is often something like, “Lord, if what I’m doing isn’t your will, just make things happen that make it clear to me.” Of course, if it wasn’t clear the first time, why would it be any clearer the second time. Just wondering.

Both sides have pros and cons. If someone really believes he is in God’s will, he works fervently to make things happen. Their prayers are often, “Make things happen for me, Lord. Open doors, if it’s your will.” That’s how I feel right now, as I send out resumes and make contacts for potential work. I keep networking, as I am being trained to do at various job search groups I attend, and throughout the day, I just lift up quick prayers. “Lord, lead me in your way.” My unemployed friends and I talk about wanting to being in God’s will and seeing the right job opportunity for what it is, and not just exerting our will on God.

People that are truly patient amaze me. Sometimes, I think God has knocked me off my well-meaning path just to get me to slow down and listen to him. Maybe what I’m missing isn’t some change of life plan, it’s simply, “Doug, I want to tell you how much I love you and how much I care about you, but you’re going to fast, and I’m not going to yell at you as you run away from me.” In the past few months, I’ve made it a point to tell God I love him regularly and to thank you for loving me. I need to understand that, even though I’m unemployed, it doesn’t mean I’m out of God’s will today. It just means the right job isn’t coming my way today.

What I need to do when I feel impatient is take note of David’s words. Because he waited “patiently,” God heard his cries. We can count on that. When things are really bad, God will lift us out of whatever muck and mire we’re stuck in. And, finally, God promises to place our feet on a “firm piece of ground.” (Some translations say “on solid ground” or on “a firm foundation.”) David knew a thing or two about waiting, because he seemed to have an awful lot of time on his hands as hid from Saul and his enemies. Patience is something learned, which is what David accomplished through his hardships.

How does this apply to my life?

Today’s prayer: Lord, hear my cries. Lift me out of my situation, and help me to see the path you’re going to place me on, the one that is on solid ground. Amen

Doug Mead
Parenting Solo

Copyright 2009. All rights reserved.
Vol. 4, No. 63

This week’s reading plan can be found at http:/www.oneyearbibleonline.com/june.asp?version=51

No comments: